Friday, October 20, 2006

"Are you nuts? 9/11 is terrific!"

I couldn’t help think that would be the Republican leadership’s response if ask, “If you could wish 9/11 away, would you?” In fact, I know that’s how they’d answer.

So what’s worse, a willingness to sacrifice the innocence (electronic or otherwise) of a congressional page for political gain, or the lives of thousands? Something tells me the latter, and I’m bothered by that. But I’m also bothered by the fact that the unquestionably heinous exploitation of 9/11 for political gain is sooo yesterday’s news. We tried pointing it out. We wrote volumes on it. And it didn’t matter. The point was lost on a majority of Americans, and so was the battle.

I indicted the Republican leadership above. But really I should be indicting most people. If the Republicans lose control of one or both houses in the next few weeks, it won’t be because a majority of Americans lost faith in them, it will be because a majority of Americans have lost interest in the action packed War on Terror. They’re bored. 9/11 is old and the war script is stale. Yawn.

What do you want to watch tonight Honey?

The same thing we always watch.

The War on Terror?

Yup.

I’m so sick of that show.

You’re preaching to the choir babe, you’re preaching to the choir.

Anything else on tonight?

Nope.

Never is, is there?

Nope.

Time to vote for the Democrats eh?

You read my mind.

3 comments:

JohnMcG said...

I'm not sure that's quite an indictment.

The problem isn't just the same script -- it's the same script in the face of contradictory results. If the Republicans had managed to deliver on their promises, if their vision of how the world works had proven correct, it wouldn't be a problem.

As it is, the talk about "spreading freedom" and "making the world safer" in undeniably hogwash.

Perhaps we should have recognized it as hogwash before, but better late than never.

JohnMcG said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey Ender

I can't seem to post on Slate today, but would you post that I will do chapter 5? I am studying it a little right now.

Thanks