Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Ethics Question

A friend poses the following ethical dilemma: On a recent company trip, he was the victim of a theft. Personal items stolen included a sleeping bag, a tent, a backpack and a sleeping pad.

The items will be replaced by his employer’s insurer. My friend will make a claim for a tent and sleeping pad comparable to those that were stolen, but the backpack he had is no longer being manufactured. He’s thinking of claiming for a better model of pack, as well as a more expensive sleeping bag.

What are the implications of this? What do you think he should do, and why?

Waiting for Gregor Samsa

|

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's not a difficult question. upgrade, damnit. the insurance company, honestly, is not going to be concerned about an extra hundred bucks or so. besides, they raise your premium should you dare to make a claim anyway.

fuck 'em. except when they give me my paycheck.

bright said...

Would you like me to float this on DP and see what Prudieville has to say?


My opinion - he should make a claim for the same item or, if no longer available, a like item available at the time of original purchase. (It could be a slightly better model in this case.)

bright said...

Hey Dawn -

There are some more comments since you posted that update.

Sorry, I didn't respond fully in my original reply.

My reasoning is I suppose that none of us really deserve anything. That we get anything at all is a giddy, ridiculous gift. So he lost a bag (and why did he pack a sleeping bag and a tent for a business trip anyway? That's been bugging me. [I'm only sort-of blaming the victim here.] Where does he work? Cabela's?!?) - who's to say his house might not've burnt down the next day destroying it anyway.