Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Bullets

» So, if terrorism has taught us nothing, it’s taught us that we, humans, retain the capacity to be monsters. Now I don’t refer to the terrorists, I refer to those they’ve taught. Namely, none terrorists. Yet, the lesson isn’t learned. How do I know? Simple. Governments and peoples all over the world have not rooted out and stomped into nonexistence the terrorists and their philosophical underpinnings. Take, for example, Pakistan. Sure, they’re trying, but you know as well as I that they could do better. Why don’t they do better? Because too many Pakistanis failed to learn the lesson that the terrorists have taught us. They fail to realize that humans are monsters. They don’t believe that the US and other nuclear armed states will ever use those arms. But they’re wrong. All it will take is one well executed biological, chemical or radiological terrorist attack against a few hundred thousand or upwards of a million people of those civilized, soft, and weak first world and nuclear armed countries and boom. Disagree with me please. But the underlying premise that makes terrorism a viable strategy is nothing other than the promise that we are in fact not the Great Satan.

– Bush could very well be a civil libertarian. But, he’s faced with a simple choice. Protect civil liberties and go down in history as the president who allowed not one, but two major terrorist attacks on US soil, or never mind them and better his chances of avoiding that unflattering distinction. Will history judge him harshly? Doubtful. Consider, sooner or later one of his predecessors is going to roll back some of Bush’s more intrusive ease dropping programs. It’s only a matter of time before we’re attacked again is it not? And so, Bush’s excesses will be hailed as in the wake of the next attack as both justified and necessary. He’ll be a hero, a true leader, future presidents will find being compared to him both flattering and desirable. “Senator, I knew George W. Bush. George W. Bush was a friend of mine, and you, sir, are no George W. Bush."

~ This is the Age of Excess (Hi Sarvis).

• According to my calculations, a post posted in fraywatch fray is read by more people than one posted in best of the fray. Currently: 58 to 33. (numbers derived from visits via referring url’s m=18028181 and m=18035443)

- Note to self: One of these days I need to make time at home to listen to this and transcribe the notable and winning entries (since, like so many, the time I find for Slate is at my employer's expense, and I can't very well make the office wear earplugs while I listen). I’m curious, and they’d make a good blog entry. But mostly I just resent the double click logic that Slate employs in deciding they shouldn’t be in print. Oh, and remember to google them for shits and giggles.

+ Wag the Slate welcomes JohnMcG topazz rundeep and the Fournier. And TQM, I’d (we'd) love to have you as a contributor.

No comments: