Tuesday, September 19, 2006

ONLINE DATING, Vol. 2: JUDGING A GUY BY HIS

GRAMMAR.

You know, like the way he writes in his profile. (Perverts. What were you expecting?)

Anyhoo, I caught a lot of flack last time I wrote about online dating, for saying how important good grammar was to me. Well I still say it. I can tell immediately if he reads and if he’s educated by the way he writes. By “educated” I’m not talking about university degrees. For example, if I get a reply from someone and he uses "your" instead of "you're" and then I read on and see all kinds of misspellings, I get this mental image of someone with a lot of dirt under his fingernails. I have similar distaste for anyone who uses “LOL” in their correspondence, although that’s more a petty personal thing of mine and I try not to let that cloud my overall impression. Much.

In the world of online dating, your first impression comes from how you write it. If you don’t think grammar is important, its no different than showing up on a traditional old fashioned blind date wearing shorts with black socks and shoes.

No comments: