Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Beta Upgrade?

I've been playing around with beta.blogger to see if it's worth upgrading Wag the Slate. I think it is, but I'd like to see if there is some agreement before I go and do the work.

One thing to consider: To do it, we may have to go to a new url. In that case, we might as well give wag the slate an name upgrade as well. Something to think about.

Anyway, for a glimps of what beta can do for WtS, have a look that this very basic prototype. Note the rss feed of Slate's last 5 columns (there is also a way to display a feed of the last 5 comments to the blog, but it's either broken or I havn't figured out how to do it yet), an archive that shows the titles of all the current months posts, and best of all, the tabs at the top (be sure to click on Contributors). To be honest, it was the tabs that sold me.

Anyway, I'm out for the rest of the day. Talk amongst yourselves.

6 comments:

twiffer said...

as a disinterested party:

--> i don't care about RSS feeds. don't use 'em

--> the tabs are a nice feature. tabs are your friends

--> for some reason, i prefer templates that have navagation, etc. on the right. but that's just me.

anyway, that's all i've got as your (semi) outsider perspective.

twiffer said...

i've never been good with titles. miscellany has a nicer ring than all labels, but depends on your space limitations.

series or serial...both work. artsLife and newsPolitics both seem good choices.

i think us sucks. staff implies that every one gets t-shirts or something. contributers is too clunky. writers, might be a better choice.

twiffer said...

i don't think that works well, as far as general site organization goes.

if a non-frayster comes by and wants to get a sense of what subjects are covered, etc., they would be lost. moreover, if i want to see what a particular person has written, that's what the "staff" tab is for.

allowing individuals to create their own categories will lead to a hopeless, inconsistent mess. and that's what the "other" or "all labels" or what have you tab is for.

the short of it: works better for insiders, will perpelex and possibly discourage outsiders.

JohnMcG said...

I like tabbed navigation, and agree we should limit ourselves to one row of tabs.

I'm also fine with cutting the cord from the Fra/Slate.

My ideal for what we would look like here is the glory days of QuasiPundit, which was done by two Fraysters -- WillV and Tony Andragna. It was a good mix of individual pieces and dialogue.

I'd also be up for having a topic of the week to keep us somewhat on the same track.

MsZilla said...

My $.01 worth (I'm in a major hurry and sleep deprived so this isn't worth two cents).

-- Tabs are good. Also like the right nav
-- I like the categorized tabs rather than the ones with names.

Questions:
-- Do you want a logo? I can come up with a couple ideas if you want.

-- Do you mind if I add WTS to the right-navigation on my main blog (mszilla.blogspot.com)? How about the top navigation?

Quick silly question - who the heck is something-witz? Is that just another you?

MsZilla said...

Don't worry - I don't do banners. EVER. And I don't do Flash. It's a philosophy sort of thing.

It's not that I'm inspired, per se, but that I see it as something this place could use. It's easier to build an identity with at least a semi-witty logotype. Microsoft got a lot of mileage out of that blibbet.

Are you married to the green and gray thing? I personally kind of like it - works for elves and Robin Hood. But if you want something else just pipe up.

Let me see what the weekend brings and I'll drop you a line with any outcome.