Thursday, October 19, 2006

How well do you think you know me?

Do you believe me?

Would you believe me if I told you I had children? If not, why not? Would you believe me if I told you something bad about myself - like I was cheating on TQL.

Would you believe me if I told you I'm on unemployment insurance? Would you believe me if I told you I am Adam Morgan? How do you decide what to believe about me?

I'm just curious.

My time on the fray has certainly changed perceptions of me. Newcomers see me differently than the old timers. And those in between the newcomers and old timers see me in a different light altogether. And over time, those perceptions seem to change - or evolve - in telling ways.

I've mentioned this before, but I now occasionally post on the fray under a different name. The reactions I get, for what would be the same point, are very different, simply because the other name doesn't carry the TQM historic baggage.

I'm not sure I can point out why, just yet, but I think that should bother you.

9 comments:

Michael Daunt said...

You're probably right.

Except when you're not.

Anonymous said...

getting to know you better all of the time. For example, I now know that you play games with two nics.

Doesn't matter to me, lots of people do, like zeus boy and appolonious, ciinc, etc.

topazz said...

Dear TQM,

Please think it over a little more before having a child, before you unleash a younger version of yourself, the world may not be quite ready for another TQKid yet.

JohnMcG said...

You realize, of course, that this type of activity would result in an immediate ban on dailyKos.

I think I only consider the personalities of posters to the extent required to understand their posts. I take people at their word when they say something about themselves. If someone say they're married, etc., I'll assume they are. It doesn't particularly matter to me. I don't recall ever reading a post and suspecting anything about the poster.

I post on a nic other than JohnMcG, which anybody who cared to has probably figured out. The biggest change was when I droppped the star but kept the nic.

The ghost is kind of a special case, since s/he enjoys toying with us about her identity.

Anonymous said...

dunno...how well do you know me?

how many alter-nics do i have (cause i lost count, so if you could let me know, i'd appreciate it).

Anonymous said...

You win a date with destiny courtesy of the DiabolicalDrGnu!

Anonymous said...

TQM:

In- teresting.

A superior pose.

A good statistic might have to do with number of top post checkmarks without another checkmark within +/- 5 other top-posts.

Anonymous said...

a new car!

or a cookie. i can afford the cookie. please choose the cookie.

rundeep said...

TQM:

I believe that you are essentially honest. I also believe you like to play, not in a demeaning way, with perceptions. So, yes, I believe you have kids. I don't think you are Adams_Morgan, and I'd love to know why our impressions of you matter. Just a riff on the effectiveness of anonymity? Or are you making a statement about the essential meanness of anonymity? (That people who don't know you can treat you like crap with impunity, and even encouragement of the anonymous crowd)?

Sorry if I'm being dense about this (likely). Also, sorry for being so late, but I have not had a home internet connection for 6 weeks and forgot the login info. (pathetic aside I know).