Thursday, October 19, 2006

Oliver Perez Must Not Bat

It's not the be-all and end-all, but in my opiniion, if Mets starter Oliver Perez steps to the plate with a bat in his hand in tonight's game, the Mets probably win. If not, the Cardinals probably win.

Given how ineffective Perez has been this year, the fact that he's pitching on short rest, the Mets probably only want to get through three or so innings anyway. So if he bats, it means:

  • It's the first or second inning, which means the Mets have had at least three base runners against Suppan in the first two innings, or
  • Perez is mowing down the Cardinals hitters in the first three innings such that Randolph doesn't feel moved to pinch-hit for him in the third.

Either way, it's bad news for the Cardinals, whose greatest advantage in this game is the starting pitching match-up.

If I see Perez in the batter's box, it will mean the Cardinals have failed to capitalize on that advantage.

And then things don't look so good...

2 comments:

JohnMcG said...

Well, I am happy to say i was wrong.

The starting pitchers dueled to a draw but the Cardinals were able to get some runs off the Mets' bullpen, and the Mets didn't get any runs off the Cardinals' bullpen.

I thought the Cards were doomed after Chavez made the catch and Rolen made that throw into the concourse. But again, I'm happy to be wrong.

JohnMcG said...

To answer one question, I'be been on the Fray both under this nic, and stopeed a while ago, and on another sporadically.

I quit investing in the Fray when posters like appolonious and doodahman got an retained stars in spite of some pretty serious problems with their posting. I know it sounds petty, but that was a signal to me about what kind of discourse Slate wanted to see on the Fray, and it wasn't discourse I was interested in having.